[Ansteorra] Nuttiness closer to Home

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 17 17:56:48 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 06:31 AM, Morgan Cain ((Ansteorra))
wrote:
>> Unlike Pennsylvania, here at least dangly things hanging from the
>> mirror, like parking permits, are not illegal. Some SCA folks have
>> found out to their dismay that leaving the parking permits, required
>> be hung from the mirror when parked at Pennsic, on the mirror when
>> leaving the site can result in a traffic ticket.
>
> The last few years, the Coopers have been very good about warning
> people
> about that, especially if you appear to be heading off site.  I think
> one
> year they tried printing it on the back of the hangtags, but they
> realized
> that people don't read 'em.
Yes, there are now warnings about this at Pennsic. I don't have a
problem with the way it is handled by the Pennsic or Cooper folks. My
complaint is with the state troopers that were apparently taking
advantage of the out-of-state folks who would be unaware of the law. I
really suspect those police had ticketed very few folks for this the
rest of the year. Not because the infraction didn't happen but these
folks were not local and would not be sticking around to argue the
issue in court. Apparently word did get back to Pennsic. The Coopers
found out about it, and a few calls were made and the state troopers
left and as far as I know, haven't been back. Pennsic does have a large
economic impact on the area. You can find the original messages about
this incident in the Florilegium.

>                                ---= Morgan (been to lots of Pennsics)
>
> (And yes, still grumpy about the fact that the persons who PROMISED to
> pick
> me up at the airport last year failed, didn't even leave a message,
> and I
> got stranded there overnight then had to pay all my spending money to
> rent a
> car because I  had no way to reach them, they had my cellphone but
> didn't
> give me theirs...... *sigh*  As we say in the Midrealm, it's not just
> a War,
> it's an adventure.  I've now got four trustworthy persons AND their
> cellphone numbers in case I need a pickup this year.)
And I very much apologize for what happened. My campmates did try to
pick you up. They did search the airport area where you were supposed
to be. They thought you must have gotten another ride, as did I until I
saw a comment from you about this on this list. I thought that I had
given you my cell phone number. I did check it to see if you had left
any messages. Even after they had gotten back to camp, if we had gotten
a message we would have returned to the airport to pick you up. It is
possible that if I had yours I didn't get it to them or they had left
the info in camp.

Since I also fly to Pennsic each year making connection with the folks
picking me up has always been a major concern of mine. It was the main
reason I bought a cell phone several years ago. At this last Lilies War
I sent my flight info to three different folks. But none of them
brought the info to the War because they thought one of the others was
going to print it out and bring it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas