[Ansteorra] Morgan's Observation

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Wed Jul 23 09:20:11 PDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:00:04 EDT DonnelShaw at aol.com writes:
> a drink. When they get there give them word fame again and make sure
> everyone
> there can hear you. (Don't yell just speak loud.) Or you can just
> quietly
> tell them Thank you. Make sure you give them your full attention
> when you give
> the praise and thanks.  I always try and pick out those people who
> work hard but
> are quiet and shy to say thank you to.
> Contessa Vanessa carries little trinkets with her for thank yous.
> The three
> children that served us at Coronation she stopped and told them what
> wonderful job they did and gave each of them a little bracelet. She

        Not to disagree with anything said here, but keep in mind that
Word Fame carries a different weight with different people. I do not wish
to sound like I am belittling what the Crown and the Nobles do, but...
        When I am at an event, I tend to go around and see if there is
anything needing to be done, find out what the event staff is having to
"crisis manage", and pitch in. More than once I have hurt the feelings of
friends or family by not being available to visit with them, because I
was working. They have gotten used to this over the years.
        Yes, being praised to all and sundry for your work is nice. Yes,
I like getting presents. Yes, being respected and looked up to far and
wide could have its good points. But all of them put together are not a
match, for me, to seeing that harried Autocrat be able to go from
"immediate crisis" mode back to just having his/her hands as full as
he/she had expected them to be, for them to actually have the time and
energy to say to me in passing on their way to yet another job, "Whew.
Thanks. I think we have a handle on it now."
        When a fighter comes off the field with a face the color of a
Centurion's cloak, and unexpectedly finds me waiting for him with a
frozen towel...well, nothing he can say is as high a praise as watching
his color return to normal. No, I take that back. It is higher praise
still when he comes to me later and asks for a frozen towel, so he can
take it to *someone else* that is overheated.
        Praise and recognition are good, but not as good as the
camaraderie of a team.

In Joyful Service,

      Iain MacCrimmon

                    Cave Tyranniam Timorium Suorum