[Ansteorra] Food Fit For Heroes

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Fri Jun 20 13:16:17 PDT 2003

I wanted to share info on the BBC's Radio 4 "Food Fit For Heroes" radio
series.

"Food Fit For Heroes" began when the BBC challenged Britain's Royal Navy,
The Royal Airforce and the Army to each recreate a meal that would have been
served to the sailors under Sir Francis Drake, the pilots of The Battle of
Britain and to the soldiers who beat Napoleon at Waterloo. The food of Sir
Francis Drake's  time falls in-period for the SCA, and some recipes and
radio clips are available at
http://www.bbc.tv/radio4/aboutradio4/diary/21.shtml

The series was so successful that the BBC has gone on to produce more Food
Fit For Heroes shows, featuring even earlier foods, such as those from Roman
Britain and from the Vikings of the Danelaw. The BBC contacted me to
participate in the Viking installment, which (if you have high-speed
internet access or are incredibly patient) can be downloaded from my
website:

BBC Radio Food Fit For Heroes on Viking Age Food (25.2MB, 30 minutes)
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/audio/BBC_FoodFitForHeros_VikingFood.mp3

I'm waiting for the info on the shows featuring Roman and other
pre-Elizabethan foods to show up on the BBC website.

Enjoy!

::GUNNVOR::