[Ansteorra] RE: Just a Question-and a lengthy answer :)

Eva Mehlhose alexscribe at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 30 23:27:57 PDT 2003

From: <morgancain at earthlink.net>
> Like you, I am not in the Circles, so don't know if they talk about it or
> laugh at those of us who care as ignorant peasants beneath their notice.
> know there are peers who are uncomfortable at being seen as examples,
> because of the pressure it puts on them to behave politely.  But it's hard
> on anybody to behave politely, that's why those courtesies mark the higher
> levels of society from the lower.
>
>                        ---= Morgan, who doesn't remember

Good evening fair Cousins from afar!
Morgan, I hope to make your acquaintance one of these days in person, indeed
I do!
I will share a message with all of you that was sent to me by a friend from
Aethelmearc as soon as she heard of my upcoming vigil to the Order of the
Laurel and she would not be able to attend my vigil or elevation ceremony.
Hopefully the tale she tells will speak to you as it did to me and still
does.
The day will come if it has not already, that someone will look upon you as
an example. You don't have to be part of any order to have that happen.
Personally, I do not recall a single time I would have looked upon anyone
playing this game as a "peasant beneath my notice".

In regards to noise etc at courts.
This is a Knowne World wide problem and not isolated to a few kingdoms. In
my opinion, it stems from a very different root cause. If the new incoming
folk are not shown what is acceptable behavior, don't blame them, most of
them would be appaled at finding themselves to be considered rude when they
simply emulate ongoing behavior.
For lack of a better example, I will use my personal experience and how it
changed this Kingdom of Atenveldt. My time here is going on 4 years now,
when I came to Atenveldt, laser copied scrolls were the norm. I am an East
Kingdom scribe, hence, could not fathom this to be true. It was important
enough to me to get involved and learn how to teach scribal arts to many.
For the last 3 years, Atenveldt has not used copied scrolls but given only
original handpainted, often recipient personalized scrolls.
Point I want to make, if this important enough to you, please do get
involved. How about teaching a class on court proceedings for newcomers?
Basic court ettiquette etc?
I taught a class on how to write and make recommendations to Crowns and
Coronets at the last  Estrella war and had students from 6 Kingdoms.
Change can be made, oftentimes it comes slow. But, it takes a beginning.
Reading all the posts on this thread, I am once again humbled and amazed at
the ingenuity and scope of skill and knowledge this group owns and readily
deploys. I for one, am looking forward to see how Ansteorra is going to
change.... and then we will use that as an example to cure Atenveldt from
the dreadful talking disease as  well.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/allthat2/vigilstory.html

Bowing respectfully,
Maestra Alex the Scribe