[Ansteorra] Carport Tents on sale- Big Lots

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 5 21:33:06 PDT 2003

Thanks for the idea Ciard, but I'm not sure what this raffia is. Is it
fluffy or bushy? I've considered reed mats, but while they would roll
well, thatch isn't flat, so I'm not sure that would look appropriate.

Yes, I assumed that any kind of reed or brush covering would just be a
disguise for the real roof underneath. With these garage tents, I would
assume you would just leave the regular plasticized material in place.
I have wondered if some kind of paint or coloring might keep the normal
bright white plastic from showing through the "thatch". That might also
allow the "thatch" to be made thinner.

Those of you who have painted these tents, (anyone from the House of
Bricks out there), what type paint did you use to paint them. Some
paints might not stick well to the plastic cloth.

Stefan

On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 11:07 PM, Ciard49 at aol.com wrote:

> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:
>> Anyone know how to make a passable thatch roof, that
>> is also transportable and preferably fireproof or resistant?
>
> I have thought about using raffia from the craft stores. It looks like
> it
> will shed water and also looks a whole lot like straw. The roof would
> still be
> soft and could be folded or rolled. The raffia would have to be sewn
> on cloth
> used as a decorative cover for the true roof.
>
> I have not yet tested this idea.
>
> Ciard
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas