[Ansteorra] RE: Just a Question

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 06:49:13 PDT 2003

I have seen Royalty ask the assembly to hush - does anybody else remember
HRM Patrick Michael doing do at His last decoronation, as He said final
words to Her Majesty Julia?  The hall got hushed enough that I, halfway
back at the Ennis cavern, could hear His words clearly.

It's not just rudeness in the SCA.  It's everywhere.  I think that people
are too used to watching TV, and too little to being in public places where
one used to be required to keep one's mouth shut when stuff is happening.
I do a lot in theatre and music, and I am constantly amazed at how many
people don't know that they should be quiet when the performance is in
place.  I get annoyed when teachers bring school groups and don't make the
children be quiet during the performance; isn't that supposed to be part of
the lesson?

It's not just young ones, I've actually had to tell older people - I'm not
that old! just a young curmudgeon - to please be quiet during a performance.

My concern is that when people are asked to hush in court, they sometimes
act as if the person doing the hushing is in the wrong.  How do we teach
people like that good manners?  Chivalry and courtesy are sometimes limited
to the tourney field, I think, and no longer seem to have place within our
halls.  But that is a place they should be present at all times, since it
is not just for combatants to practice.

I'm enough of an upity git that if someone snarked on me for asking them to
hush in court, I'd probably look wide-eyed and say something along the
lines of "oh, I did not realize that your part of the Kingdom is so
backward that you have not learned the basic courtesy of being quiet in
court or leaving to hold your conversations in the hall."  But that's me.
<g>

So, if the Peers are the problem, how do we get them to not only exhibit,
but actually learn good manners and appropriate behaviour for court?  If
they have not learned it, how do they know to actually do it?

                    ---= Morgan, webmailing from the Midrealm
                         and wondering how the soapbox got here

"All great truths begin as blasphemies."
                 ---= George Bernard Shaw, Annajanska (1919)
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch,
 you must first create the universe."
                                             ---= Carl Sagan