[Ansteorra] RE: Just a Question

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Mon Jun 30 07:59:49 PDT 2003

From: "R. Smith" <russ at randomgang.com>
>Some have brought up modern niceties like sound systems.  Sir Burke, the one
>at ATYC was not a bad thing -- that hall is hideous for acoustics, as you
>well know, and indeed, many of the courts in which I have felt like I was
>witnessing the aforementioned private meetings have happened in that hall
>(even when I have been seated in the third row!)  The ampitheater at Dakani
>was also dicey for audibility and worse for visibility, as you pointed out.

I could be proven wrong by someone, but I do believe that for running sound systems at an event, I have done so more than any other person in the Kingdom.  I organized the sound systems for the coronations of Drake & Kayleigh, and Timo & Alysson, as well as having organized them for several other events such as Elfsea Defenders & Springfaires.  I also happen to have a bit of first hand knowledge as to what it takes to herald a court so that it can be heard.

On the table, yes, Canton's hall is a acoustic nightmare, and Ennis isn't a heck of alot better.  But the real problem with sound systems is that they come in two flavors.

The first involves, as Sir Burke had done at ATYC, a simple stand microphone.  It gets people heard, but is immensely intrusive into the feel of our Courts.  The Crown is suddenly a subject of the microphone's kingdom, being forced to enter it's presence in order to speak to their subjects.

The second is the type I am more comfortable with, which involves the use of wireless microphones, lots of them.  To do a Steppe's 12th night well takes, as an opener, 9 wireless microphones and having a stand microphone would be very good as well.  This then requires at least a 10 input mixer (which none of the regular sites we use are equipped with) and someone trained to run it.  This assumes that amplification and speakers are already equipped in the hall (ala Canton & Ennis).

In either scenario, a Sound System is intrusive to a medieval feel.  One worse than the other, but intrusive either way.  Use of a sound system at a Coronation has a notable effect on the 'noise' level of the hall, but it does not get rid of it.  So being able to hear is a definite factor.

At most courts, noise is a cascading problem.  It starts with people who are sitting back far enough that, given the Herald that is speaking, the cannot hear.  They begin to talk, making it harder for those closer than they to hear, and they begin to talk, etc.

Solution?  Certainly not to run sound at every event, at least not immediately.  Well done sound systems require a major expense for the event (The coronations I did ran at least 350-500 dollars ... that's a buck a head at the event).  While that is a major expense, that equipment is rented.  Just one of the good microphones in use would cost $1,500 dollars, so renting is preferable unless nearly event Royal Presence event started using sound systems.  This ignores the need to train people in how to run a sound system well, how to teach our heralds and royalty how to work with a sound system, etc.  And even if all of the above happened, a sound system would still take some of the charm out of our courts.  Do you like it when the King walks out amoungst the populace to speak on something passionately?  That's a sound system nightmare, I assure you.

As with most things, there is no replacement for good behavior.  And, if I may be so blunt, except for very large events (Warlord, Defender, major Investitures, Coronations, 500+ people), if everyone was quiet, and a compitent Court Herald was used, there should be no problems.

Timothy of Glastinbury