[Ansteorra] Sound Systems in Court (was Just a Question)

Aurore Aurore at hot.rr.com
Mon Jun 30 12:07:03 PDT 2003

Has anyone thought of Ebay and Pawn Shops.  I've seen equipment in this
places.  Cheaper.  Aurore

> From: Synrik <synrik at earthlink.net>
>
> >Boundary or PZM mic.s are the way to go if you are trying to cover a
larger area
> >and even Radioshack has them for $50/ec.  They can be hidden rather
nicely as well.

> Wonderful creations ... horrible when working in situation that has any
'bounce' such as the stages at Ennis and Canton.  They work off vibrations,
which is why they are so often used to mic pianos (taped to the bottom side
of grands, or the backside of standups, etc) but if placed on a floor that
'rings' when stepped on, that will be a very loud noise through the system.

> >Basic Wireless mic systems are not cheap, but can be had at Gemsound or
Amplivox
> >for $200-300
> >
> >AmpliVox has nice systems (cased, battery powered, all included, very
portable,
> >etc.) for reasonable prices.
>
> VHF systems can be acquired for more reasonable prices, such as these, but
range and local station interference is a problem.  At Ennis, I have found
that I have to be to the side of the hall (near the Kitchens) rather than at
the rear in order to make VHF work well.  UHF have a much easier time with
distance, and no real interference problems.

> But there are ways to lower the overall price, of a system, by donation or
otherwise.  But is there really a demand?  Most groups are not using them
currently.

> As Sit Burke noted, it is possible to do sound reinforcement, covering
zones, hiding things, and doing a system on the cheap.