[Ansteorra] Period raingear

Susan slpatch at mfire.com
Wed Mar 5 16:45:09 PST 2003

Susan wrote:
> Just a curiousity question here: Is there a period equivalent to the
umbrella as we know it? When did they come into common usage for rain
protection? Just wondering.

Greetings From Alina:

I use the modern equivalent of an umbrella. For me personally, I don't care
if
my umbrella isn't period. I'm still going to use it because I chose to try to
stay dry and that also includes any other rain gear.

Alina

Greetings Mi'Lady,

I agree, staying dry is the paramount concern! I also revert to the slicker
and umbrella when the rains set in. But it would be interesting to research
the historical precedent behind this. Did they use oilskins? Ansteorran
thunderstorms certainly give ample impetus to such an endeavour! Gives me
something to do since I won't make GW this year. ;)
Has anyone else done serious research on this? I'd be interested in hearing
from you.

Lady Wilhelmina Catharin de Rochelle, House RavenOak