[[Ansteorra] WEATHER FOR GULF WAR XII]

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 5 20:10:12 PST 2003

Susan wrote:

> Alice Morrow Harris <lg_photo at texas.net> wrote something like:
> --
>  Bring your shovel and rain
> gear (umbrella) , if you're not already packing them in.
>
> Just a curiousity question here: Is there a period equivalent to the umbrella
> as we know it? When did they come into common usage for rain protection? Just
> wondering.
>
> Lady Wilhelmina
I believe they are a post-period item, at least for Europe.

A felted wool cloak seems to be the best period wet weather gear.
I tried to do this once. All the wool(?), blanket material(?) did was continue
to shed in my washer. I ended up with a lighter wieght cloak lined with a US
military blanket and then treated it with multiple coats of brand-x
Scotchguard like stuff.

You might be interested in this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium:

raingear-msg      (46K)  6/ 5/01    Period raingear. waterproofing cloth.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/raingear-msg.html

However, for the Gulf War when Gunthar was King I think this file might have
been more appropriate. :-)
boat-building-msg (40K)  9/ 6/01    Building boats using medieval techniques.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/boat-building-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com