[Ansteorra] blackstar

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 19:18:37 PST 2003

Ok, been reading posts on the errant BlackStars. So as part of the
label-crew for multiple Kingdom Chronicler over the years, here's what I
know:

First, Claryce is right, if your 3rd class issue did not arrive, you NEED to
file a complain with your post office; take an issue for a sample to show.
Also, send an e-mail to the kingdom chronicler, so he is advised; posting to
the lists will do little for you.

Next, if you renewed, your check may have missed getting in before the names
list was printed (been there, done that).  The list is printed 1 month
before the month of issue, as we label two weeks before first of next month.
If you don't get the following months issue, then contact the SCA main
office; they process your check and get your name on the BlackStar list.
(with this large a set of issues missing, renewal is not the problem.)

Sorting: First class get a stamp, are not sorted in any particular order..
they're first class!, always get priority mailing, order doesn't matter.

Third class is a whole different deal: sorted and boxed by zip code groups
(first two or three digits of code), then zipcode order. This is the
required for any bulk postage processing and order in which the labels are
printed.  The label crew follows a strict procedure in labeling the books,
keeping them in zipcode order, and we are checked by the chronicler for
accuracy regularly... he watches!!  If we label or order issues incorrectly,
the postoffice WILL return them to the Chronicler to correct... which has
never happened, to my knowledge.

Last, US mail is distributed via major hubs, like airlines.  The major
cities are main hubs, mail goes there first, and then out to the smaller
outlying areas around them. Example, mail goes first to Dallas hub, then to
Tyler, and so on. Your issue may not be stuck at your local office, but up
the line. So, filing a complaint with your postoffice could identify a
problem along the pipeline.

BTW, the Chronicler always has a third class issue mailed to himself, so he
knows it got out of the postoffice he dropped them at.  We usually do the
labeling the middle of the month, and issues are mailed soon after, so most
arrive before the first of the month by several days.

I have received my 3rd class issue in Houston.
Hillary