[Ansteorra] RE: Uses for Altoids tins

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Wed May 21 13:01:37 PDT 2003

Maria asked:
>I have never decorated them....I wouldn;t
>have a clue as to how to do that. I would
>think that paint would chip off easily,
>being that the box has a smooth surface.
>Any ideas??

Sure! Take some fine sandpaper and gently sand the surface.  You're just
trying to break the glaze and give the new paint something to stick to.

Alternatively, check the hardware store and ask for "liquid sandpaper".
This is great for items that have some kind of paint or glaze already on
them - you just sponge the liquid sandpaper on, and let it sit.  It does
something chemically that causes the paint or varnish underneath to prickle
and pucker just a smidgen, and again, that provides a paintable ground
surface.

If you want to get *really* period with this, you can get an abrasive such
as sand, rottenstone (a kind of limestone), rust, etc.  Take a scrap of soft
leather or felt, wet it, dip it in the abrasive, and use that to sand with.
If you were doing wood, you'd mix a little linseed oil with the abrasive and
apply that, and the linseed would help form the final finish.  Probably not
necessary for altoids boxes, but something to experiment with on other
projects, maybe.

::GUNNVOR::