rhemail at swbell.net
Mon May 26 21:42:41 PDT 2003
First let me start by saying how sorry I am to the folks that lost vehicles
and possessions during the flood at Steppes Warlord and also to the
merchants that lost merchandise and livelihoods to the waters.
Fortunately no one was hurt.
I have read many of the emails regarding Warlord. I will attempt to deliver
a few answers.
Why do we continue to use Canton?
A large air-conditioned hall
A large grass covered open field to fight in
Two large open areas for equestrian and archery.
Electricity and water everywhere so people can plug in their air
conditioners and fans.
Good roads that we don't get stuck on when it rains and we don't have to
slog through the mud on when it rains.
Centrally located and within a reasonable distance from Steppes.
Large open shaded camping.
Are we looking for another site to hold Steppes Warlord next year?
However, and I'm just guessing here, we will likely have to give up some
things if Steppes Warlord is somewhere else next year?
The air conditioned hall and readily available electricity.
Good all weather roads throughout the site.
Flush toilets and hot water showers.
What are the minimums we looking for in a new site?
We can't do anything about the rain, but we will try and find a site that is
not as prone to flooding and has water centrally available.
It will likely only have electricity in a few places and those will be
reserved for people who have medical needs.
It will need multiple decent roads in and out of site.
Open, shaded camping would be nice.
It needs to accommodate 750 -1000 people with parking.
If we want archery and equestrian activities, there must be adequate open
fields that are hospitable to human and equine feet.
Boy/Girl scout camps and most church camps are out because they don't allow
alcohol at all.
If you know of anything within and hour and a half of Dallas please let me
It is a personal priority of mine to find a new site in the next 6 months
for Warlord 31.
Why did we close the hall and send people out into the rain?
We were watching the approaching storm as closely as possible. It could have
been very dangerous with 60 -70 mph winds, and surrounding areas received
baseball size hail. We had people calling the weather stations and police
stations in both Dallas and Canton, trying to stay abreast of the weather.
When the brunt of the storm passed us we felt like we were only dealing with
the rain and by the time we started to close the hall it was lightly
raining. We felt it was safe to continue camping because we all know how to
deal with rain. Then the flooding started. As I made a trip around camp to
assess the situation we also called the city and got permission to stay in
the hall overnight. We then went back out into the flooding and let as many
people know as we could that the hall was reopened for sleeping.
Why did we cancel the event?
We toured the camp on Sunday morning and determined that a large number of
people were leaving anyway.
There were 6 privies that got turned over, and a lot of the water was
polluted and unsafe to be around.
The list field, equestrian and archery fields were under water still and
A lot of people lost a lot of things and we felt it was inappropriate to
continue a party.
We were told by the Canton site people that we were in for more rain that
night and we didn't want to go through that again or more importantly put
our guests through that again.
rhemail at swbell.net
I don't type and hate email discussions so please don't expect lengthy
answers on this list. If you want to talk or complain you can call me at
home until 9 pm.
More information about the Ansteorra