[Ansteorra] RE: Linseed oil

Leofric Ealdricson lealdricson at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 19:39:45 PDT 2003

I agree with Gunnora on the salad bowl finish.  You can mail order this from
Woodcraft Supply Company.  It is made by a company called Behen and marketed
as "Salad Bowl Finish".  This is the finish that I use on all of my feast
gear.  I have a set of feast gear that I made for myself 8 years ago.  I
have not had any problems with cracking or drying.

If you are going to put a hard finish on your wood here is what I do:

Sand the surface smooth using progressivly finer grits of sand paper.  Start
with 60 grit to get an even finish.  Move to 100 grit, 150 grit, and then
220 grit.  Go at least to 220 grit.  I also use 320 grit and then finish
with 400 grit.

Remove all of the dust with a dry cloth (don't wash it, you will mess up the
grain and have to resand with the finer grits again).  Apply the salad bowl
finish with a paper towel.  You want the first coat to go on thick.  The
directions say to flood the surface.  This first coat needs to be heavy
since all of it will soak into the wood.

Let this dry overnight.  Sand the surface with 320 or 400 grit sand paper
and wipe off all of the dust.  Apply a second coat.  Don't apply as much on
the second coat.  The wood will not soak up as much.

Let it dry overnight and sand again with 400 grit sand paper.  Remove the
dust.  Apply a light 3rd coat as the top coat.  This will give the surface a
nice shine and depth.

Let the feast gear cure for AT LEAST 72 hours before using.  Curing for a
week would be better.

Always wash with warm soapy water.  If you get scratches from cutlery, sand
with 320 or 400 grit and apply another top coat.

Regards
Leofric