[Ansteorra] RE: Latin Translation

letebts at earthlink.net letebts at earthlink.net
Sat May 17 10:24:48 PDT 2003

There's an hilarious series of Latin statement books by Henry Beard of
Villard Books of NY--Latin for All Occasions and More Latin for All
Occasions.  (God forgive me if there are any typos...)

A few examples:
"An All-Purpose Evasion of a Request for a Latin Translation:
You can't say that in Latin. -- Illud Latine dici non potest."

"Useful Curses:
May barbarians invade your personal space!--Utinam barbari spatium proprium
tuum invadant!"

" Give me a hambuger, french fries and a thick shake.-- Da mihi sis bubulae
frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo Gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum
coagulatum crassum."

"Latin Bumper Stickers for your Chariot
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
€When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.
....."

There's even a Roman recipe for 1,000 larks that serves four.

(giggling) Lete