[Ansteorra] best of the best

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Sat Nov 1 04:58:40 PST 2003

Chris Zakes wrote:
> At 06:01 PM 10/30/03 -0600, you wrote:
>

>>Zach wrote:
>>
>>>Is that really allowed?  I thought that to fight in Crown you had to
>
> promise that you wanted the crown.  I figured that it might make a few
> people upset it I fought in Crown with no desire to be king.  (Mind you I
> am a newbie and unless I spiked everyone’s Kool-Aid I haven’t a chance to win)
>

>>>Is it acceptable to fight in Crown and lose at the last minute so as not
>
> to have to be king?
>

>>That's really two questions.
>>Is it acceptable to fight in Crown with no intention of winning?
>>Yes.  Some fighters will enter, and withdraw at a point prior to the
>>finals.
>>Is it acceptable to throw a fight in Crown?
>>Acceptable but poor form, IMO.
>>Someone could enter, and during the finals realize (PANIC! PANIC! OH
>>MY GOD, WHAT AM I DOING?!?!?) that they don't want to be Crown.
>>Better form would be to resign before the final, or yield  without
>>fighting, rather than throwing the bout.
>>
>>my 2 cents
>>
>>David Gallowglass
>

> That's one point of view. There are others.
>
> *My* take on the matter is that if I'm not willing to assume the burden and
> duties of being King, then I have no business fighting in Crown Tournament.

Agreed, I feel the same way.  Others have different opinions.  (And
there was the year I was drafted into Crown tourney, over my
objections....)
My second point addressed the case of someone who entered Crown
thinking they were "willing to assume the burden and duties of being
King", then changed their mind when it became a real possibility.

David Gallowglass