[Ansteorra] best of the best

Zach hellbilly_tx at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 07:43:08 PST 2003

I doubt that I will be fighting in Crown for at least a year.  I believe that I should know the Society rules and have an understanding of what it is that the group needs of a king even if I have no expectations of winning.  I also kind of see the reason in fighting to insure that the field is strong.  I over heard to fighters at a fighter practice some months ago talking about a former king and one asked how did he win, The other said something to the extent that it was a weak field that day and they both nodded.  If my skill becomes that of any note I might feel it an obligation that my future king never have those words said about him, and therefore fight.

Thought what I have said above is a in the prospective of me answering based on my own personal future achievements my original questions where not to be a reflection of my goals but rather a push into a hypothetical question.  Basically I seek to start in interesting conversation on a topic closer to my interest.  Fighting!  And in that spirit I also ask if it is a disservice to your kingdom to fight in a Crown if your skills are far to below the rest.  Could your involvement lead to the idea that the field was weak?  Could your involvement give another opponent to easy of a fight and not have him equally challenged for his place at the next round.  I know that my second bought would be far easier if my competition had a 20 minute fight while my last bought took me all of 5 minutes and was easy.  Let me all know what you think.

Zach who is decided on a 1200 German persona but has yet a name.  (maybe there should be a name that German competition?)

L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com> wrote:

Zach wrote:

>Is that really allowed? I thought that to fight in Crown you had to promise that >you wanted the crown. I figured that it might make a few people upset it I >fought in Crown with no desire to be king. (Mind you I am a newbie and unless >I spiked everyone’s Kool-Aid I haven’t a chance to win)

Many people fight for many reasons...you have to promise that you have the ability and aptitude and monetary resources to do the job...not that you necessarily want it. To many of the Chivalry deem it their responsibility to fight in Crown to ensure that the best person wins and that the path was not easily won. Others may feel that if they won they could not properly uphold the office of Crown or have other responsibilities that would interfere so they witness the fights and make sure all is done well and with honour.

If you were a person new to the SCA but had several years of martial arts behind you...it's entirely possible that you might win...there is a requirement that if you are not Chivalry that a member of the Chivalry must stand for you...

I would suggest that before you attempt to fight for Crown that you at least read Kingdom Law and the SCA Corporea and Bylaws...the Society Treasurer's Handbook would also be good...take an active part in your local group and regionally so that you can learn how the SCA works so that as Crown you may have a good basis of understanding on which to build for the decisions you will have to make...

>Is it acceptable to fight in Crown and lose at the last minute so as not to have >to be king?

Is it done? probably...Is it acceptable? not really...

>Zach asker of questions

Lorraine DeerSlayer