[Ansteorra] Ansteorrans Beware!

Bob Kelley bkelley at accdvm.accd.edu
Mon Nov 3 02:34:41 PST 2003

Ansteorra beware!

Ominous word has reached me at Whitestone Abbey regarding a celestial
event of dread import! One day since the brethren celebrated mass for
All Saints Day, a traveling philosopher arrived outside our abbey
gates, requesting a meal and a nights bedding. During the course of his
supper, the philosopher revealed himself to be a man learned in the
movement of the moon and stars. With startling certainty he warned that
November's moon - silvered orb, both round and full, would be soon
transformed into a sphere as red as blood!

Some of the younger novices grew alarmed and openly feared the meaning
of such heavenly portents. I, on the other hand, have seen many lunar
eclipses before and am not so inclined to believe such superstitious
foolishness. However, before he withdrew to his chambers, I recorded the
philosopher's words so you might take heed.

Following sunset on the eighth of November - a Saturday's eve - all
good folk in the realm of Ansteorra should look to the eastern sky and
listen for the church bells to strike seven times. Although the heavenly
spectacle spans the course of three hours, as the last note of the
seventh bell is chimed, the lunar eclipse shall reach its greatest
marvel. For a brief span of but thirty minutes, the moon shall appear as
a copper colored circle or perhaps as a fiery orb suspended against the
sparkling stars. Half an hour before the bells ring eight, the moon
shall begin its departure from the darkness. By nine chimes of the
church bells the moon's silvered face shall be completely restored.
Beware!

The same words I have sent by fastest courier to our King, in case word
of dire prophesy reach his ears. Perhaps it would be best to double the
coastal guard and keep a sharp eye for dark sails on the eastern horizon!

Brother Ambrose of Whitestone Abbey