[Ansteorra] deer hide tanning

Chuck and Rhonda Leggett RLEGGETT at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 17 14:33:42 PST 2003

Subject: [Ansteorra] deer hide tanning

> A co-worker of mine that does black powder hunting is giving me a complete
untreated deer hise in about 4 hours.  How do I tan it?  If you want, you
can e-mail me off-list at skerritheviking at yahoo.com
> YiS
> Ld. Skerri

Tandy Leather (or, The Leather Factory) carries a complete tanning kit -
"Tannery in a Box," I think it's called.  They also have a tanning "cream"
which is much less involved.  I haven't used either of these yet, but for
longevity/durability I think I would opt for the "Box."  It is much more
involved, but it is a real tanning system, and it will do two average
deerhides.
Also, check out Braintan (dot-com?); it is an excellent source of
information.

Hope this helps.

Ever in service,
Lord Marion de la Massue