[Ansteorra] RE: [BFS_GENERAL] deer hide tanning

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 17 17:30:25 PST 2003

Diermuid wrote:
> I got the brain tanning book from Tandy, and had a similar dilemma,
> only I was in the Outlands, so of course, it was an elk. (hide was
> about 70-80# wet)  Tannery in a box will work, but I went old-school
> (like making your own egg drop soup from scratch, not recommended for
> everyone).
<snip of useful, interesting info and personal experience>
Just be aware that brain tanning is a North American development and
doesn't appear to have been done in Europe during the Middle Ages. It
may not matter to most, since many also use chrome-tanned leather which
is a post-period development, but you should be aware of this.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com