[Ansteorra] Some questions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 19 20:13:43 PST 2003

  Susan the Curious asked:
> It looks like we will be able to make a war or two this next year and
> I am real excieted about that.  In keeping with my name, that has
> spurred me on to all sorts of questions I'm pondering.  I would love
> input, on list or off is fine.
>
> What are your favorite Wars and why?
1) Pennsic, because it is two weeks long. There are more classes than
Gulf Wars, over 1000. There are more bardic fires than at Gulf Wars.
2) Gulf Wars, because there is still a week of wonderful, interesting
activities. There are permanent camps like the Early Period Encampment
with a blacksmithing forge and baking ovens and period style buildings.
A must see.

> What are the keys to having a good time at war?
1) Get out of camp and meet people.
2) Find out what activities will be going on at that particular war and
figure out which you are most interested in. Make a priority of which
happenings are the most important to you, because you won't be able to
do it all. Be flixible as new activities come up and realize that some
things you want to do are just going to have to wait until the next
time.

> Any timeline of preparation or other wisdom will be greatly
> appreciated.
See the PENNSIC and SCA-CAMPING sections in the Florilegium. Also the
GW-history-msg file in the CELBRATIONS AND EVENTS section.

> Ekaterina is planning on going to Gulf and both of us hope to make it
> to Lillies.
Lilies can be rather hot. Prepare for it and count on reducing or
modifying your activities in the afternoon. Lots of interesting
hands-on demos at Lilies. More than I've seen at Gulf Wars or Pennsic.
This past year they were making paper, copper repose work, had a
pottery kiln going, a period "mass production" candlemaking setup (Not
dipped, the wax was poured over the wicks. Wax was too expensive to
fill the large pot that would have been needed. New to me) and others.

> I'm wondering how much we need to worry about rain, since there will
> be a Porto King...
See this file in the TRAVEL section of the Florilegium:
boat-building-msg (40K)  9/ 6/01    Building boats using medieval
techniques.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas