[Ansteorra] Thanks from Countess Maggie

Lisa A. May maaggie3 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 20:39:09 PDT 2003

Greetings to the Ansteorran List!  Since news of the wreck made it to the
ether, I thought I'd post to a couple of lists that I'm on to let everyone
know that I'm OK (not great yet, but OK).  Feel free to forward this to
those who would be interested.

Alexander and I were on our way to Three Queens on October 3rd, when a drunk
decided he liked our lane on the expressway better than his lane.  He didn't
much care that he was going in the wrong direction and, in fact, he got
stopped fairly quickly - by Alexander's Ford Explorer.  Alexander suffered
cuts and bruises, and his knees are bothering him, but luckily he didn't
have to be admitted to the hospital.  He held my hand and kept me together
for half an hour until the ambulance came.  Unfortunately, his Explorer is a
total loss.  I suffered six broken ribs on my right side (three in two
places), punctured lung, lacerated liver, and fractured left hip, plus
assorted cuts, bruises and abrasions.  Four days in ICU in Longview (two
hours from home - my thanks to Patrick and Julia for their generosity in
offering my parents any help they might need while I was there), then I was
transferred to a regular room for four days, then transferred to the Baylor
Institute for Rehabilitation in Dallas.  That's "Institute for
Rehabilitation" with a capital "R" - and they DO NOT kid around with your
rehab schedule.  I had six therapy sessions a day for a week, and I was
discharged on Tuesday, 10/21.  I'll do outpatient therapy for the next 4-6
weeks.

All that sounds kind of grim, but actually, I'm feeling pretty OK, and
Alexander is back to work and doing fine.  The ribs and hip will be achy for
a while (6-8 weeks), but they tell me I'll make a full recovery, probably by
the end of this year.  In the mean-time, I'm subscribing to the adage
"better living through chemistry" and being thankful for the pain meds that
have been prescribed.  Anyway, I've gotten so many cards, flowers, emails
and phone calls from people who have heard what happened, I wanted to let
everyone know that I'm home, I'm feeling better, and I'm going to be back to
normal (by whatever definition you care to use) fairly soon.  My thanks to
all who have expressed their concern, and especially to those who were able
to come visit me in the hospitals in Longview and Dallas!

Maggie

Countess Margaret ny Connor
Barony of the Steppes
Kingdom of Ansteorra

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, then eat and drink as
friends."  W. Shakespeare.