[Ansteorra] Award Query

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Tue Oct 28 17:25:43 PST 2003

When I began active in the SCA in 1984, there were many activities, that
are common today and for which we have created awards, that were
unknown.  There were very few children, so we had no need of the Rising
Star or the Compass Rose.  We didn't need awards for Equestrian
activities, there were no activities with horses.  We would have little
use for any award for group combat activities, we were Kingdom of Celtic
and Norse heroes, they didn't  need anyone helping them.  At one time in
history, the Laurel was used,not only as an arts award, but also as a
service award.  We have grown, we have extended our interests into many
new areas.  Why shouldn't we have new awards for the people who work in
these areas?  We do need to be careful not to start creating awards,
just for the sake of awards.  We are seeing more activities that reflect
group efforts, why shouldn't we develop methods of honoring those who
are willing to put their work into a group project?  The populace of the
Steppes created a fabulous embroidered tablecloth, we have had few
chances to even exhibit it as the work of art it is.  Most of the major
art works of the middle ages were the efforts of numerous persons, we
are starting to see that type of work today.  We are beginning to learn
that the idea of  "I raised the sheep, sheared them, carded the wool,
spun it, gathered the dyes that I used to dye it, wove it and made a
garment out of it for myself, is NOT a period concept, it is colonial
and western American (and I expect that research would show, that even
then it was uncommon).  This type of award does not need to be
armigious, in fact, of the all the awards that I have, two of the ones
that I value most, my Falcon and my Acorn, are not armigious, in fact
the Acorn isn't even an registered award.

I like the idea of a Sable Constellation, different constellations could
be used for martial, arts, and other type of group efforts. (Orion for
martial, Sagittarius for archery)

Cairenn