[Ansteorra] best of the best

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 21:02:11 PST 2003

  David Gallowglass commented:
On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 06:01 PM, David Hughes wrote:
> Zach wrote:
>> Is that really allowed?  I thought that to fight in Crown you had to
>> promise that you wanted the crown.  I figured that it might make a
>> few people upset it I fought in Crown with no desire to be king.
>> (Mind you I am a newbie and unless I spiked everyone’s Kool-Aid I
>> haven’t a chance to win)
>>  Is it acceptable to fight in Crown and lose at the last minute so as
>> not to have to be king?
>
> That's really two questions.
> Is it acceptable to fight in Crown with no intention of winning?
> Yes.  Some fighters will enter, and withdraw at a point prior to the
> finals.
And at least one King, and I won't name them, has entered Crown to make
sure a specific person didn't win. And then got so caught up in the
tournament that they forgot to lose. From what I've heard his consort
was none too happy about this. But being the people they are they made
the best of things and gave us another good reign.
> Is it acceptable to throw a fight in Crown?
> Acceptable but poor form, IMO.
> Someone could enter, and during the finals realize (PANIC! PANIC! OH
> MY GOD, WHAT AM I DOING?!?!?) that they don't want to be Crown.
> Better form would be to resign before the final, or yield  without
> fighting, rather than throwing the bout.
IMHO, it would be better if such a person didn't enter Crown at all,
for it smacks of politics and backroom manipulation. For they may
eliminate along the way, folks that might make a better Crown than the
finalists.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas