[Ansteorra] Dogfish anyone?

rachel luce rachel_luce1975 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 23:39:16 PDT 2004

Polydore <polydore at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
On the dogfish, according to the floregium article, they define this as
"small sharks". I have seen sharkskin offered somewhere, but can't place
the reference at the moment. Perhaps some of our friends from the costal
area could be of help?

     Yup, dogfish is the most common type of shark there is. It's also not an endagered species and can be found all over the world. I've looked in asian markets both online and off but what they sell is the dried whole fish (it's really nasty looking & too brittle to be of use) or dogfish oil (blech). I'm trying to get bith a whole dead dogfish so I can stick it in a big jar and use it as part of my A&S displays. I've tried calling a few educational places that sell dissection kits as dogfish are usually the example of shark that you get to pry apart but these are usually sold with the skin at least partially off and with latex injected into their circulatory system. Not really what I want. Plus I want to find a source of the hide so I can try using it as sand paper.

There is also a freshwater fish in the north central US known as a
dogfish, but I don't think you could sand anything with that skin. The
name came from a barking sound they make.

Fish can make sound? That's as messed up as fish being able to fly.

                                                   -wait for it..., Xanthe