[Ansteorra] Question 4/24

rachel luce rachel_luce1975 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 21:52:05 PDT 2004

      The reason we don't think of those commodities in those terms is because the rate of consumption of each is different. People pay attention to the price per gallon of gas because that is the rate at which we have to deal with it every day. IMHO comparing gas prices per gallon to these other commodities' prices per gallon is somewhat useless because the average household doesn't go through a gallon of these products in a *year* much less a day.
      I can hear some of you now-- you're misisng the point. No, I just happen to think that this list is great example of a straw man. What we need to consider is how high can the cost of fuel rise before more  is affected than which events we'll be going to this month. Think about our means of shipping commodities across the nation and you'll see what I'm talking about. It isn't by train.
                                                    -Xanthe

Ron Brooks wrote:I got a lot of this off of an email some else sent me,with the gasprice
thread on going, I felt it sort of fit.

Putting things in perspective

Reference: And you think gas prices are high? Check out these prices per
gallon in comparrision.

Diet Snapple 16oz $1.29 $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 $9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 $84.48 per gallon

And check out htis one...

Evian 9 oz $1.49 $21.99 per gallon