[Ansteorra] Dogfish anyone?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 14 21:02:19 PDT 2004

On Apr 14, 2004, at 7:24 AM, Mistress Gunnvor answered Xanthe with:
>> Does anyone know where I can
>> acquire/purchase dogfish hide
>> (Mustelus canis) or horsetail
>> reed (equisetum hyemale)?
> Xanthe, depending on what you're sanding, you can also make a paste of
> rottenstone and linseed oil and apply with a rag as a wet sanding
> agent.
> Rottenstone (decomposed limestone) is sold at most art supply stores.
Thanks Gunnvor for this additional info.

Can you also please tell us which cultures used this rottenstone in the
Middle Ages and when? Do you know if this was simply ground limestone
or whether it was heated before or after grinding, which I thought
actually creates quicklime? Or is there more that has to be done to
make this from limestone? Or maybe this had to be found in the
"decomposed" state?

Thanks,
   Stefan
(another tidbit for my files :-) )