[Ansteorra] Re: Question 4/24 (combined answers)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:24:16 PDT 2004

>From: Jan Aarons loveofhalesworth at yahoo.com I would agree with most of
>your statement but I don't think the statement below was very fair. It
> >shouldn't matter if you are rich or poor, it only matters how you play
>the game...

I agree, it shouldn't matter.  For some people, it does, and that was my
point.

>And yes at this point you could pretty much say he was poor. So, you
>shouldn't say that poor >people shouldn't play in the SCA...

I'm sorry, I thought you were responding to something I had written (since
you quoted something from what I had written).  This was clearly my mistake
since you couldn't be responding to what I wrote.

I would never say that poor people should not play in the SCA. In fact what
you were  quoting was pointing out that they do, and while it's easy to
dismiss them (the whole "maybe people who are poor shouldn't be wasting
their few funds on a luxury like the SCA" thing, since this is an argument
that has appeared in the past, during the non-member surcharge thing, as I
mentioned -earlier- in the same message), the contrasting arrogant
condescension in the latter part of the sentance towards those people who DO
have money (much less the over all tone of the message) was a hint that the
first part of the sentance was not written as a criticism of poor people.

That being the case, I have no idea what you are talking about.

==========================
From: kandace harris thetexladi at sbcglobal.net
>I thinkyour right.... and I think his right ,,,He has forgotten whats it
>like to look forward to that >week-end you can get away and have fun doing
>something you love to do ....and I'm way,way out >of Collage and the
>creative bookeeping I could do ( along with Mother sending a $20.00 now and
> >then) ...However this gas price increase will effect alot of stuff we do
>to make it to events....Like ,I >buy food at local store instead of
>stopping for fast food on the way....I buy things that I know I >use in
>bulk....It will be a hardship sometime during the month and I will plan
>events a little >tighter....BUT I'm Going and I'm going to Play....so what
>if I can't get Peptol Bismol...By Saturday >night ...WHO CARES???.....

I'm sorry, I don't understand the first sentance clearly.  If I read it
straight, then I should assume that you are suggesting that I have forgotten
how to look forward to something fun that you love to do.  If that is what
you meant, please verify this and I will respond to that point
appropriately.

Marc/Diarmaid