[Ansteorra] Re: Question 4/24 (change)

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Tue Apr 27 10:53:14 PDT 2004

At 12:24 PM 4/27/2004, you wrote:
>>From: Jan Aarons loveofhalesworth at yahoo.com I would agree with most of
>>your statement but I don't think the statement below was very fair.
>>It >shouldn't matter if you are rich or poor, it only matters how you
>>play the game...
>
>I agree, it shouldn't matter.  For some people, it does, and that was my
>point.
>
>>And yes at this point you could pretty much say he was poor. So, you
>>shouldn't say that poor >people shouldn't play in the SCA...
>
>I'm sorry, I thought you were responding to something I had written (since
>you quoted something from what I had written).  This was clearly my
>mistake since you couldn't be responding to what I wrote.
>
>I would never say that poor people should not play in the SCA. In fact
>what you were  quoting was pointing out that they do, and while it's easy
>to dismiss them (the whole "maybe people who are poor shouldn't be wasting
>their few funds on a luxury like the SCA" thing, since this is an argument
>that has appeared in the past, during the non-member surcharge thing, as I
>mentioned -earlier- in the same message), the contrasting arrogant
>condescension in the latter part of the sentance towards those people who
>DO have money (much less the over all tone of the message) was a hint that
>the first part of the sentance was not written as a criticism of poor people.
>
><snip>
>Marc/Diarmaid

I have sat and read all of the commentary on this question and a thought
has occurred to me.  The cost of living (here represented by the price of
gas) has always effected how we collectively participate in the SCA.  One
of the basic tenants of this game is that we can and do travel to the
different areas in the Kingdom (you can substitute region, area, barony,
etc.).  If the cost of travel becomes prohibitive (however you choose
measure it) then it seems to me that a change in one of the fundamental
aspects of the SCA may have to occur.

Burke