[Ansteorra] questions

Nelwynne de Perci nellwynn0 at lycos.com
Sun Aug 1 10:11:48 PDT 2004

I got into the SCA by the backdoor so to speak.  My daughter started going to events with friends about 5 years ago and she had to have clothes.  Since I’ve sewn all my life, guess who made them?

1. What attracted you to the SCA?
    What “hooked” me was the first feast and court I attended, the beauty and graciousness.     I wound up having to take my daughter to an event and had to stay.  (You ought to try putting together marginally acceptable garb out of mundane clothes in about 20 minutes.  It was a challenge to say the least.)

2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?
I enjoy the history, the pageantry and camping.  I am not a terribly sociable person so the SCA gives me an interesting, enjoyable reason to make myself interact with others.

3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA
(household, local group, kingdom, specific activity)
	mostly events

4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA
(applying for an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)
	Once I was actually a member about a year.

5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the
SCA"..why did they not...or why did you come back?
There are always personality conflicts in any group.  You try to work around them or find something to do that avoids that conflict.

6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there
anything anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning
out"?
I’m not burned out but am doing a great deal less because of money concerns.  Wouldn’t life be “loverly” with plenty of money – sigh.
You ask what others could do to keep people from burning out.  Just my thought but not asking the same people to do everything needed might help and somehow gently steering them away from volunteering when you know their plate is full.  I have no idea how you would do that without hurt feelings but there has to be a way.
I’m sure there are many in the SCA that would be more than willing to help if someone would ask.  It is hard for some to volunteer or they don’t know how to go about it, especially newbies.

7. What do you get out of the SCA?
A reason to make (and wear) pretty clothes, to do lots of research and get out of the house.

8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to
participate in the SCA?
After membership about 4 years, after starting to really participate about 3.

and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the
SCA and stay in it?
Everyone needs something besides “get up go to work, come home go to bed” in their life.  If their interest runs to history or the even just the middle ages, the SCA is a good place to be.  The SCA is a better place than many of the historical groups because the family is not only welcome but encouraged. Also you can do anything that you are capable of and that interests you.  If a guy wants to embroider, no one is going to laugh him out of camp and a capable gal is welcome on the list field.
As far as staying in goes, there are so many different ways to participate that if you get sick and tired of one thing, there are a dozen others to explore.  Makes it very hard to get bored.

Lady Nelwynne de Perci
Incipient Canton of Rivers Run
Wiesenfeuer

The most comforting (and frightening) words in any language:  "This too shall pass."