[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18...2nd

Michael Smith morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 1 09:16:07 PDT 2004

> 1. What attracted you to the SCA?

fighting, armour, cool costumes

> 2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?

It's  a fun place to do that which attracted me to the society, and a
fantastic group of people with whom to do it.

> 3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household,
local group, kingdom, specific activity)

pretty evenly split between local group and kingdom...the household doesn't
really take up much time.

> 4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying for
an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)

About 2 years, but only 1 year after I moved to Ansteorra

> 5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA"..why did
they not...or why did you come back?

Sort of...  I was initially interested in the SCA from the age of 16-20, but
because of the local group where I'm from, didn't get involved until I was
almost 30.  It's a long story, I'd be happy to share in more detail.  Not
that I was "run out" but more that I was just totally turned off.  The group
had a total turnover, I found the new people again at 29, and have been
active since.

> 6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there anything
anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"?

I was burned out a bit after an entourage stint.  I went to Estrella, Gulf,
Pennsic, and 2 foreign coronations that year among so many other trips
in-kingdom.  I got unburned in about 6 months.  I could have gone to less
events...but it was worth it.

> 7. What do you get out of the SCA?

I get so much out of the SCA, I can't possibly be brief in my answer.

> 8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to
participate in the SCA?

About 2 years

> and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the SCA
and stay in it?

Because they are having a great time!  If they're not having a great time,
if they think that the game isn't worth the time and money and effort, they
shouldn't stick around.

Centurion Morgan