[Ansteorra] Help getting some items to pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 6 23:53:44 PDT 2004

On Aug 7, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Lady Valkyrie wrote:
> I am still planning on going to pennsic, but am
> currently in Carolingia, though some pieces of my gear
> is in Ansteorra.  Is there anyone in the region of
> Houston, Huntsville, or even SanAntonio that is going
> to Pennsic that might be willing to transport a box of
> gear to Pennsic?  I would really appreciate it and
> would happily arrange reasonable compensation.

I'm afraid I can't help directly as I am flying to Pennsic.

However, it is possible to ship a box through Federal Express, UPS or
USPS directly to Cooper's Lake for Pennsic. The cost will vary
depending upon which company you use and how far you ship it. I've
usually shipped using USPS, but this year since I am near a Federal
Express drop off, I am using them. They appear to be much faster and
cheaper. For a fifty pound box the cost is about $24. When it arrives
at Pennsic it is held in the trailer that the merchants use.
Non-merchants are charged an additional $1 per package, which I think
is quite reasonable. This has not been widely publicized in the past
and almost no where this year. They really have their hands full
handling the merchant shipping and don't want to be inundated.

Federal Express says three days (we will see). USPS says six, but they
have taken as much as nine days in the past.

To ship the box home I use the little temporary post office set up near
the Gate. Be aware though that this post office has very limited hours.
Only Monday through Friday, 10am until 2pm. Surprisingly, USPS home
from Pennsic has consistently been faster than USPS to Pennsic. There
is a maximum wieght that USPS will ship. Without a scale in camp I have
had some problems judging the wieght until I get up to the post office.

If anyone has any more questions on this or about how to fly to
Pennsic, please free to email me. I will be here in town until Tuesday.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com