[Ansteorra] Fwd: Work weekend for AOS

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Sun Aug 22 21:13:35 PDT 2004

Baron Christian Doré here.

As many of you know the English Civil War Society of America (ECWSA) is
putting on an event in coordination with our own Known World Academy of
the Rapier.

To prepare for that event -- Academy of the Soldier -- we need to do some
site preparation. This will be out at my family's ranch in Marble Falls,
Sycamore Creek Ranch.

I am looking for volunteers to help out. Work days will be next Saturday
and Sunday, August 28 and 29 starting at 10:00am. Plan on an hour drive
from Austin.

We will be clearing an area for mowing. The area is already mostly open so
we will need to pick up rocks, clear some old chunks of wood and do some
light brush clearing. My brother can only do the mowing on his big tractor
once the area is cleared.

The areas we will clear will be enough for a small shooting range, a model
period camp that will contain 2 or 3 tents, and a parking area. We have
previously cleared the parking area so it just needs some maintenance.
Once the mowing is done we may use the rocks we clear to outline the camp
if there is enough help and motivation.

For directions visit this link:
 http://academy.swordworks.org/maps.shtml

We recommend you wear long work pants, hearty shoes, a lightweight long
sleeve shirt and a hat. You will also need work gloves. Sun screen is
recommended and a little bug spray for around the ankles would be good too.
We will have water and some basics but you might want to bring a small ice
chest with some goodies for yourself.

We will have a fair selection of tools but we could use a nice wagon or two
(for rocks), another chainsaw, a few machetes, branch shears, a pry bar
and a couple of shovels. Please bring work gloves.

If you are planning to be there we would like to hear from you so we can
have enough water and such on hand. Write to me at james at crouchet.com

I plan for us to stop at some point for a nice swim so you might want to
bring a suit, towel and flip flops just in case.

Doré