[Ansteorra] Re: A question for Ansteorran artisans

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 16:43:10 PST 2004

> ***  In another vein - I do think we do need some kind of recognition of people who are extra
> ordinary craftsmen but are not necessarily into what it takes to become a peer...I've been
> thinking about it for a long while...but haven't yet come up with a way for it to manifest
> without being viewed in a negative way (but then again people will view things as they
> will)...Maybe each Crown could give a "Crown's Mark"  with no rank just have it recorded in the
> OP
>> *** Lorraine

I disagree that a award needs to be created for folks, who are, as you say,
'extra ordinary craftsmen but are not necessarily into what it takes to become a peer'.
At what stage in their SCA lives do the Crown decide they will never be a peer, so
we'll give them a 'Crown's Mark' as compensation?
(course that may be me viewing it in that negative way you mentioned).

There are plenty of awards to cover most of the needs of this kingdom, I think.
In fact, I think a few need to be closed and their specialities be rolled into other existing
awards (getting down off soapbox :-> ).

If the Crown wishes to recognize special achievements in any area (service, marshalling, arts),
then the Crown can call the individual forth and laud them with wordfame, have them share table or
tent space within the Crown's presence, give them largess or personal favors/colors to be worn
during the Crown's reign.  There are more than one way to grant special honors without giving
kingdom awards... get creative, and perhaps a bit more historically accurate (hum, maybe a
research paper there).

Hillary