[Ansteorra] (no subject)

Clay R. scafaelan at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 23:53:01 PST 2004

Mike,

I just wanted to take a chance to let you know that I understand what you're dealing with.  When I first started with a group (over four years ago), that marked nearly a year and a half of trying to get into the sync of things with a group.  I could never reach anyone (by email or telephone), and it became extremely frustrating.  I know now, that this was in part because I didn't know where else to turn, but also in part because I didn't have patience enough.  I'm not in any way saying that you haven't been patient, I'm just relating to you where I was at this juncture.  I'm going to be honest, and say, that it's difficult sometimes to move things quickly - but in the end, those that were meant to find you will - and everything will work out.  As as has already been addressed, sometimes email and/or telephone just don't work.  Go find the people.  Do some web research.  Don't make the same mistake that I did, and place the burden on anyone other than yourself to get things done.
 It's well worth the work, I promise ;-)
Also, a lot of people base their entirety of playing on helping.  This is difficult (and sometimes while we can't reach them), it's important to remember that there are so many things on their respective plates, that it may take some time.  We are only human after all ;-)  I've worked alongside some of these positions, or smack-dab in the middle of them, and it's daunting work.  I haven't even taken anything major on yet - and I can already tell you that it's tough.

There are lots of things you could be doing in the mean time - like researching more about the SCA in general, the Kingdoms, Ansteorra, the groups here in Ansteorra, the way the rules work, etc.  If you know all of this already, you're well ahead of many that are in your shoes.  I promise, knowing all of these things will help in the long run, and it will help deplete the frustration.  The sheer interest in the SCA that you will most likely develop will come first, from within yourself.  After that, when you do find a group, they will most likely become family to you, and you will have so many good memories, that you will probably forget most of the frustration that you have.

I, like many people in this society, believe that newcomers truly are the future of our ways and our interests.  Without new blood, nothing can grow.  It is you my friend, that is the future of the SCA, along with many others like yourself.  I will gladly be of any assistance to you that I can, as I am sure any of the people that read this list will be.  I wish you the best in your quest!

PS - Just remember, you get out of the SCA what you put into it, and it's well worth everything that you can give, because you'll get more than you could ever dream of in return.  We live the dream, but it's far more than that - it's a tangible truth in an abstract reality.

Best wishes,
Lord Faelan mac Eogain
Barony of Bryn Gwlad (Austin, Texas)

Mike Gray <td5004 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
yes i was and i did apologize,i know that dont take the sting out,but i
know i posed in frustrationand again i apologize,i'm in north west houston
anestorria territory i'm told