[Ansteorra] Newcomers

Cheri Hodek texastornado_50 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 15:10:41 PST 2004

Greetings,

I, for one, have read all of the missives about "newcomers" and the lack of welcome and information given. I feel very pirvileged to the fact that the Barony we play with was there when my lord and I started with the SCA. We were guided gently through our beginnings by a newcomer's class that expalined different aspects of the SCA, to included the different offices. This was hosted by our Hospitaler and attended by newcomer's, as well as officer's from the Barony. We were encouraged to ask questions and pointed in the direction of our interest. We were given names to contact. It was not just the Hospitaler who made us welcome, but the whole populace. While this was great, the best thing I found was they let us ask any question and none avoided answering it. Now, as a "seasoned" player who still ask questions still, I fill it is my duty to make welcome newcomers and help to make them welcome.

If it helps anyone, our Barony regularly holds newcomer's classes and especially after demo's that have drawn them to us in the first place.

Please take this in the spirit it was written, not as a sermon, but as an aid.

In service,

Lady Muirenn inghean Chonaill

Your limitations are not imposed on you. You accept them. Go beyond those limiting thoughts and free yourself to be you very best.