[Ansteorra] On the topic of Lions

Brian & Pam Martin twinoak at cox-internet.com
Tue Jan 6 19:10:44 PST 2004

Hmm, the whole lion thing is a tricky one: it means different things to
different people. One person's shining example of a lion is often an odd
choice to some others. Still, I guess that's one of the things that makes
the order great.

I have known and still know many lions who to me were and are shining
examples of what the order and what Ansteorra should be; people such as
Pepin, Lloyd, Mari, Leon, Thomas, Riccardo and others. Still, one person has
always been in my eyes the greatest of the lions and that was Master Ragnar
Ulfgarson.

Ragnar was at once probably the wittiest, most creative and best persona
player that I've ever encountered in the SCA. He could make a story right on
the very spot to explain the most mundane of things, and yet leave you
entranced and enthralled and often left laughing either at the wit of the
story or at yourself for having bought into it only to realize that it was
another one Ragnar's shaggy dog stories. For example, Ragnar once turned up
at an event with curly hair (something I'd never seen before) and I asked
him what had happened. He got that curious look on his face that he always
got when a story was in the offing, paused and then said "I'm glad you
asked!". That always meant that story of some sort was to follow and I went
right along with him. Ragnar ripped off a short tale of about five minutes
that ended with Thor (Ragnar was a Northman, after all), handing Ragnar his
hammer, whereupon Ragnar just looked at me. Remember, Thor is the god of
thunder. That five minute story was Ragnar's version of telling me that he
had stuck his finger in a light socket. I groaned and smacked my head for
having fallen prey to one of his saggy dog stories yet again. The really
great part of this is that a few hours later, I saw Ragnar telling this same
tale to seven or eight completely enthralled people. They were hanging on
his every word, only by now the story had grown to about 20 minutes in
length. Lord only knows how long that story got by the end of the night.

That's but one brief glimpse of the wit and character that was Ragnar. I
think that he was the living definition of a Lion of Ansteorra and best
embodied Jan's explanation of what a lion is: to paraphrase, Jan once said
that you should always notice if a lion is at an event, and you should also
notice if he's not there. Ragnar died some eight years ago, and with every
event that I attend, I notice that he's not there and I miss him.

Pendaran