[Ansteorra] Stories of the Early SCA

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 17:40:55 PST 2004

On Tuesday, January 20, 2004, at 06:03 PM, David Hughes wrote:
> This story, giving a first hand account, really should be preserved in
> Stephan's Florigeum.
> Could you ask Geoffrey to post it there?
Thank you for the thought. I have already saved the message that
Mistress Xene posted, for future inclusion in the SCA-Stories-msg
series of files in the Florilegium.

I really like to get stories about the history of the SCA, especially
those told by someone involved in the story being related. As time goes
on, more and more of the folks involved in the early days of the SCA
either stop playing or pass on. I'd like to do what I can to preserve
some of this history, while we still can.

This type of story was even better than many because it gave more
accurate information of the story behind a common SCA story. While some
of these stories are probably only urban myth, many are not and some
have gotten distorted over the years. It is nice to hear the true
story, even if the story as it is often told is a bit embellished. The
Florilegium, for instance, contains both the story of "The Man Who
Declared War on Himself and Lost" and Master Cariadoc's own message on
what really happened. And Cariadoc admits that he sometimes tells the
story of how he got Pennsic started with the usual storyline instead of
what really happened, because it makes a better story.

Now that most of the SCA electronic communications has passed from the
Rialto (rec.org.sca) newsgroup to hundreds of mail lists, there is no
way I can keep up with it all. No one could. I can barely keep up with
the lists that I am on. So, if you see a message posted to a public
newsgroup, and you think it would be a good message or message thread,
and especially if it is an article, for the Florilegium, I would
appreciate you mailing it to me.

Stefan

> Vicki Marsh wrote:
>> Forwarded with permission and the confirmation that yes, Baron Valust
>> was
>> also on board the Nimitz at the time.
>>
>> Mistress Xene
>>

>> Geoffrey sais:
>>    You certainly can forward it and yes Vallust was aboard with us.

<snip>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com