[Ansteorra] AAA memories - Middle Eastern Dance Championship

Sandra Jakl kieralady2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 15:25:29 PDT 2004

Greetings unto the list!

I was one of the judges for the Middle Eastern Dance
Championship and I am responding formally to this
e-mail because I feel these are serious allegations.
This e-mail calls into question the caliber of both
the judges and the individual who won.

These are the items that were taken into account. Each
judge could award a maximum of 20 points, broken out
as follows.

(One.) 5 points for technical skill.
I don’t think this needs any particular explanation.
(Two.) 5 points for documentation.
Only 5 of the 14 entrants submitted documentation.
Most of the documentation was for clothing only.
(Three.) 5 points for authenticity of the performance
as supported by the documentation. Many styles of
dance were performed. Traditional “cabaret”; American
Tribal Style (which is technically _newer_ than
“cabaret”); a little Persian/Indian; Etc. Certainly no
style that was more documented than any other, in what
we received.
(Four.) 5 points for complexity, difficulty, or
ambitiousness of the performance.
Whether the performance was all the same, whether it
incorporated different facets of the dance, different
props, different levels, etc.
(Five.) 5 points for presentation, interpretation,
overall impression.
Effect on the audience, introductions, bearing while
performing

I am very surprised at this response to the outcome of
a kingdom level championship. I think, in any field
other than Middle Eastern Dance, that these issues
would have been brought up with the judging panel
privately before being broadcast onto the Ansteorra
list. The maturity of the Middle Eastern Dance
community in Ansteorra has been brought into question.
At this point, what can I say…?

Please contact me, any of the other judges or HL
Rhiannon, the past champion, for any further private
discussion of this subject.

Let me say that Lady Toryn Seven Stitches, the 2nd
Ansteorrean Champion of Middle Eastern Dance, showed
extreme and astounding skill. I am honored to have her
as the Middle Eastern Dance Champion of Ansteorra.

HL Clara von Ulm
Aka
Sayidda al Sheriffa Sana bint Kieran al Kerra
Barony of Loch Soilleir

Message: 1