[Ansteorra] "Ecclesiastical Pomp" now $10 off - forwarded with permission from the SCA-Laurels List

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Tue Jul 20 18:06:28 PDT 2004

Spies, Nancy (Mistress Ingvild Josefsdatter). Ecclesiastical Pomp and
Aristocratic Circumstance: A Thousand Years of Brocaded Tabletwoven Bands.
Jarretsville, MD: Arelate Studio. 2000. ISBN: 0615116817.  Ordering info at
http://www.weavershand.com/ArelateStudio.html

This book details the history of brocaded tablewoven bands from the sixth to
the sixteenth century. It analysis data from the bands, including their
metallic and fiber content. The author has graphed numerous historical
brocading patterns and offers them for use in band weaving, but are easily
adapted for knitting, embroidery and other crafts.

This book covers every aspect of tablet woven bands in the Middle Ages.  It
begins with a great deal of historical information, including who the
weavers were, how the bands were used, the designs used and technical
information from surviving examples.  This section is illustrated with a
great many line drawings.  The second section is "how to".  It starts with a
brief chapter on the basics and then proceeds to a number of patterns that
the author has drafted from surviving examples.  In the appendices, there is
a catalog of every surviving tabletwoven band from the 6th to the 16th
century that the author could track down (a listing that takes 80 pages by
itself).  There is also an annotated bibliography.

---- Forwarded Note ----
[SCA-Laurels] "Ecclesiastical Pomp"
From: SNSpies at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 22:56:53 CDT 2004

I am pleased, and hope I am allowed, to announce that I've just reduced the
price of my first book, "Ecclesiastical Pomp and Aristocratic Circumstance"
$30.  It is my wish that more people can access this information ... and it
is
my husband's wish that more of them leave the basement!

Nancy / Ingvild
www.weavershand.com/ArelateStudio.html

P.S.  Please feel free to pass this announcement along to anyone or list
that
might find it of interest.  Thank you.

Nancy Spies
Arelate Studio
www.weavershand.com/ArelateStudio.html
Ingvild Josefsdatter, OL
Bright Hills, Atlantia

"This effervescence that you observe in me is intellectual carbonisation.
Spiritual rejoicing. An entirely cerebral scintillation."
Josephine Tey, "Daughter of Time"