[Ansteorra] AAA memories

mtucker at airmail.net mtucker at airmail.net
Tue Jul 13 10:10:17 PDT 2004

> What are your most vivid and/or interesting memories of our Argent
> Anniversary?
>
> Annes

I would also add the Kingdom Middle Eastern Dance competition Saturday
night after the fireworks.

The tent was beautifully decorated, and the dancers were lovely and
talented, with more than a few showing great skill in their art. The music
was alternately haunting and compelling. All in all, it was a wonderful
and memorable event.

It was a shame, at least in my opinion, that historical dance costumes and
routines did not prevail that day. Instead, a beautifully performed,
crowd-pleasing performance that seemed to draw mostly from modern,
American cabaret dance style (and audience "shtick") took first place. The
best historical dancers scored 2nd, 3rd and 4th place.

My first reaction was that we had sent a message to the kingdom with this
score, and that it was the wrong message. However, in retrospect my
opinion has moderated - a little. I guess that Middle Eastern dance is at
roughly the same place in Ansteorra that other art forms were at 20 years
ago. Back then very few people could tell the difference between, say,
period and modern weaving techniques; or the difference between
crowd-pleasing filk and historical music. Very often the judges of A&S
competitions then (and now, sadly) are largely ignorant of the forms they
are called upon to judge. We do the best we can, and try to learn as we
go.

Still, the competition was great fun and very memorable. I look forward to
next year's competition, to see if we can do a better job of reliving
history, and recognizing those who strive to do so.

Michael Silverhands