[Ansteorra] (Fwd) KWAR Class Request

ecrouchet at austin.rr.com ecrouchet at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 08:33:18 PDT 2004

>From Claire by request for Dona Gwenneth:

The Known World Academy of the Rapier for 2004 will be
held in the Barony of Bryn Gwlad in the Kingdom of
Ansteorra.  We are currently looking for class
instructors.  If you feel you have some knowledge or
skills that you would like to share, please consider
volunteering to teach.  We are particularly interested
in classes on period rapier techniques and specialized
subjects which are not generally available to students
at a local or even kingdom level.  Relevant non-fighting
 classes are also encouraged.

The KWAR website, http://kwar.swordworks.org, should be
up this weekend and will soon afterwards have a form
available for submitting online class proposals.  In the
meantime, class information or questions may be emailed
to me at gwenneth at dona.sca.org or classes at kwar.swordworks.org.

Info I need from instructors:

Class:
Basic description (short to medium-length paragraph, to
be listed in the schedule), including:
-  Type of class (lecture, discussion, demonstration,
hands-on, sparring)
-  Prerequisites or level of experience (preferably more
specific than "advanced" or "intermediate"; for example:
requires basic knowledge of di Grassi, must be familiar
with period Italian terminology, must be authorized for
sidesword, etc.)
-  Student equipment requirements (does student need to
bring blades; if so, what kind; is full armor needed,
etc.)
-  Maximum number of students, if applicable
-  Fee if any (to cover handouts, etc.)
-  Class length (1-hour increments)

Requirements:
-  Space required (size of room, chairs or open floor,
etc.)
-  Equipment or assistance required (table, chalkboard,
grunt labor, etc.)
-  Scheduling requirements (examples:  do not schedule
for before noon, do not schedule opposite a particular
class, etc.)
-  Any other requirements

Instructor:
Basic bio to be listed in the schedule, including:
-  name (SCA and mundane)
-  email address (and whether or not you are willing to
have your email address posted on the KWAR website
and/or the printed schedule),
-  experience,
-  kingdom and local group (if non-SCA, please list
organization and mention any significant differences
from SCA fighting conventions that may be relevant to
your class),
-  special qualifications (including
mundane).

Examples:  If it is a class on how to win tourneys, you
might list major tourneys you have won.  If it is a
class on stretching and exercise, you might mention that
mundanely you are a physical therapist.  If it is class
comparing SCA fencing with modern fencing, you might
mention that you are a mundane fencing instructor.  If
it is a class on a period master, you might mention that
you have read his work in the original Italian.

Basic rule:  If you saw this class listed on the
schedule and were wondering if you might like to take
it, what would you want to know about the instructor?

Please contact me with any questions or suggestions.

I would appreciate it if this message could be forwarded
to appropriate rapier-related kingdom lists.

Thank you,
Dona Gwenneth of Glamorgan
Class Coordinator
KWAR 2004