[Ansteorra] Simple Grants of Arms

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 11:32:56 PDT 2004

<<
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:47:15 -0500
From: "Lisa Duke" <arabella at elfsea.net>
Subject: RE: [Ansteorra] Awards given at Westgate Winter Collegium 2004
 (the last Simple Grant of Arms in Ansteorra was presented to Guy Lestrange in 1999)
per our  Kingdom OP  -  Guy got his Grant of Rank in Meridies -
One of the last awards we gave him before he left Kingdom was his Court
Barony, I know I painted his Scroll.    Then we was given the Ansteorran Queen's Rapier.

Hum, it hadn't occurred to me to look up his name to see WHERE he got his Grant of Arms from (I
was going off the consolidated list at the back of OP), so if he got his from Meridies, then that
means the last Simple Grant presented in Ansteorra by an Ansteorran Crown would have been to Sag
of Toehold (12/12/1998), Arianne of Wyndstay (12/12/1998) and Bonnie Rowan O'Sheay (12/12/1998).

I don't know the above listed folks, but I'm assuming they were given at the same event (same
date), as as they don't have a kingdom listed next to their names for GoA, I'm assuming they were
presented by an Ansteorran Crown.   Leaving a 5.5 year gap between 1998 and the one presented last
weekend to Caitlin nan Cnoc Airgead of Gates Edge.

For those not familiar with simple Grants of Arms, they are rarely given in Ansteorra, as
Ansteorra tends to favor Grants with a specification, such as Iris of Merit for arts, and Star of
Merit for service, among a few other Grants.  The term 'Simple' Grant of Arms, means there is no
specialization that accompanies it, such as a Simple Award of Arms.

Guess that makes those that hold a simple Grant of Arms in Ansteorra, doubly honored!
Cheers, Hillary