[Ansteorra] From the Gulf Wars XIII Autocrat - Reply to Lions of Ansteorra

David Jurgens djurgens at energygraphics.com
Fri Mar 5 10:39:41 PST 2004

Forwarded by request.

------------------------------

Dear Rhodri & Lions of Ansteorra, Patrick Michael & Clarissa,
I thought this would be the best way to reach all of you. While I do not
necessarily agree with your way of handling this issue, Rhodri, I do want to
let everyone know some things about these points:
1)      The GW staff ignores our requests to run the dances and balls,
putting their own people in charge.
Please send me the names of the people that specifically had issues and
times they are available at this war. No one from your kingdom contacted me
during last years war or after with an interest to run the dancing.
2)      The volunteer chits are turned in for A&S judging, marshalling, and
other activities, but somehow they are lost.  I have heard many Ansteorrans
say they don't bother trying to turn them in because it is too big a hassle.
If it is too much of a hassle to turn them in-then of course they will not
be counted. That is the volunteers decision. Please send me feedback on what
a better way to turn in your volunteer chits would be. I am open to any and
all suggestions.

3)      Teachers apply repeatedly for slots in the classes.  These requests
are ignored / lost / refused / never answered.
The exact same letter goes out to all of the kingdoms for a call for
teachers--please send me the names & times these people are available & what
they teach.

4)      The rapier community must continually work extra hard to ensure
their activities at Gulf Wars.
This statement is vague-please send me the names & what the "extra" is and
when these individuals are available.

5)      The Equestrian community has had problems of their own with
Meridien interventions.
Again vague, please send these people to me and we will have a "Barn"
meeting. Please send me their names & a list of the issues..

6)      The knights and marshalls complain about the Meridien marshalls and
how they handle the battles.
Each kingdom has a representative in the Marshallate. Please send me the
names & times these people are available. Also I would like to know
immediatley if there are any issues this year.

Last but not least, if you have not noticed, in the sca everyone complains
about something from one time to another. Please send these people to me and
I will most assuredly include them in the task at hand.
Thank You,
Countess Maisie of Dunbarton, OP
GWXIII Autocrat

Greetings,

The Lions of Ansteorra do not have a list of the their own and I chose this
method of reaching them.  If you know a Lion who does not receive this
list, kindly forward my message on to them.  Thank you.

Rhodri ap Gwythyr

I send this to you as a Lion, because I believe the Lions may be able to
help.  Please excuse the length and bear with me to the end.

We are under attack.  No warriors threaten our lands.  There is no army on
our border.  Far, far worse.  Our reputation and the good name of this
kingdom are being maligned.  Our kingdom is being described as a group of
greedy, lazy, whiners.  And this is being believed.

The issues around Gulf Wars have gotten to the point where peerages in
other kingdoms are being told that:
1)      Ansteorra is only interested in the money from Gulf Wars
2)      we are not willing to do our share of the work
3)      we want to run the war our way while someone else does all the work
4)      that Gulf Wars is and always has been a Meridien event, and look
how badly Ansteorra is treating them when all they were doing was being
good hosts

Since the beginning of the war there have been issues, and always will
be.  I believe we have tried to work around them, live with them, and
continue for the enjoyment of all.   Here is what I have heard from members
of our populace:
1)      The GW staff ignores our requests to run the dances and balls,
putting their own people in charge.
2)      The volunteer chits are turned in for A&S judging, marshalling, and
other activities, but somehow they are lost.  I have heard many Ansteorrans
say they don't bother trying to turn them in because it is too big a hassle.

3)      Teachers apply repeatedly for slots in the classes.  These requests
are ignored / lost / refused / never answered.
4)      The rapier community must continually work extra hard to ensure
their activities at Gulf Wars.
5)      The Equestrian community has had problems of their own with
Meridien interventions.
6)      The knights and marshalls complain about the Meridien marshalls and
how they handle the battles.

Now I hear back from other kingdoms that Ansteorra doesn't pull its share
of the load (as shown by the lists of teachers, staff, and the volunteer
hours) but that we want to control the war and get more money out of
it.  That Meridies has been doing all the work and now we want to take over
the event, but they still have to do all the work.

Three years ago, after some major problems with other wars, the corporation
required all multi-kingdom wars with profit-sharing to create a financial
policy which had to be approved by the corporation.  The battle to get one
for Gulf Wars was long and involved.  Only the threat of having the war
suspended for lack of a policy caused it to occur at all.  Meridies did not
want any such policy to control their war.  This escalated the conflict to
the point we have today.

I have been involved on the edges of this issue for several years, for many
Reigns.  Repeatedly, I have seen our Crowns and officers negotiate,
compromise, and work their way through it.  Each problem has been quietly
resolved and the war goes on.   But the result is that the only story heard
is that of a few loud voices from Meridies.

I don't care about the war.  I don't care about the money.  I care about
the name of Ansteorra.  That they can do this to us is bad.  That we appear
to be ready to lie down and take it, REALLY HURTS.

I am fighting against this slander when and where I can, as are
others.  Our voices alone are not enough.  If it matters to you what the
Known World thinks of Ansteorra, then let your voice be heard.

Rhodri

For other viewpoints, Patrick Michael and Clarissa di Firenze have been
involved in this for a long time, or just start asking around.