[Ansteorra] Spring Hammerfest - March 27th, Oldenburg, TX

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 10:32:15 PST 2004

I got this off the East-kingdom metalsmith e-mail list, and as it's in Texas, thought that some of
you who deal in ferris metals may be interested.  Sorry, I was unable to locate a website, but
there was an a site from last years event on the Houston Blacksmiths' website at:
http://www.habairon.org/Hammerfest/Apr03.html

Enjoy, Hillary

Spring Hammerfest March 27, 2004

SPRING HAMMERFEST at Oldenburg

Our bi-annual Hammerfest event at Oldenburg is schedued for March 27.
Click on the Poster by Frank Walters for the full image you can print
and announce to your friends!

This Spring we return to our favorite Oldenburg site on Preview
Weekend March 27 to bring our forges and have a good time. In October
we will feature a special demonstrator as we did last year, but this
Spring we will return to a more casual, less effort required meet.

Blacksmiths across Texas, Louisiana and all points from there have an
opportunity to gather for the day, work and show their wares the
Preview weekend of Round Top in Oldenburg, TX. Five acres of land is
being made available to blacksmiths during the famous Round Top
Antique Show. The Round Top, TX antique show expanded over the years
to include the neighboring towns of Warrenton, Shelby, Oldenburg and
a few other places in between. The show occurs in April and October
each year.

Oldenburg is located about 90 miles northwest of Houston. During the
weekend over 1,000 vendors sell and 200,000 buyers enjoy the shows,
buy and drive the beautiful countryside.

The owner of the property has an interest in smithing and played in
the Oldenburg blacksmith shop while growing up. The original site of
the Oldenburg shop is just a few stone throws away from the five-acre
site. The original Oldenburg shop is now operating again at the
George Ranch Historical Park south of Houston.
Everyone is invited to come to Oldenburg and demonstrate. Our
gracious hosts are Kennie and Susan Hall. There is no cost. A hat is
passed to defray the expenses for power, water and porta-jons.
Camping is available on-site with a hot and cold running water shower!

All Blacksmiths and friends and visitors are invited to sell, buy or
just visit. Remember that this Hammerfest weekend is the same weekend
as the Preview for Round Top Antique Show. Thousands of vendors and
hundreds of thousands of buyers are roaming the countryside between
Round Top, Warrenton, Oldenburg, Fayetteville and Shelby during this
event.

When & Where :
The Hammerfest site in Oldenburg, TX is located at the intersection
of Highway 237 and Bauer Road. The site is on the north end of town
on he East Side of highway 237. See maps below.

Saturday March 27 :
The traditional schedule looks like this:
Friday 8:00 : Sign in and setup (tentative)
CAMPING - Friday - Sunday (tentative):
Camping available in the field behind demonstration area.
No charge to members, their families and their guests (donations will
be collected to help with expenses)
Portable toilets, water and electricity are available

SALES TENTS - Friday - Sunday:
Club Fundraising Table - Handmade items donated by members for sale
to the public
DEMONSTRATIONS - All day – Saturday
What to Bring
Chairs, canopys, tents.
Bring safety glasses with side shields. This is a requirement!
Bring your forge and tools if you have them.
If you do not have a forge and tools, please come anyway. There will
be plenty of room at some forge during the workshop and someone to
lend you a hand if you need it.

You do not have to be a member to attend our meetings! Bring a Guest!
Bring your Membership Dues if you want to work at a forge and are not
a current Member !

Minors are welcome but must be accompanied by a responsible adult.