[Ansteorra] site tokens

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 19 20:20:54 PDT 2004

Gavin MacGiollaRua asked:
> I am looking for a source for laser etched event tokens.  I can't
> remember the event I saw them at but they where nice.  Any info would
> be
> helpful.
I'm afraid I can't help you with these specific tokens, but if you
would like a period style token done using period methods, let me
suggest casting pewter tokens using a hand-carved soapstone mold.

Having recognizable tokens that could possibly serve as souvenirs or
keepsakes was what got me interested in pewter casting. I have taught
my class at King's Colleges, Gulf Wars and Pennsic. If you or anyone
else would like to learn, I'd be happy to teach you. The same methods
can also be applied to making buttons, belt decorations and buckles,
rings, jewelry and other items such as holy water bottles. I have used
this method to make 300 site tokens for a single event and with more
time or more people, this number could easily be increased.

I started from the first article by Mistress Nicolaa in this file in
the CRAFTS section of the Florilegium and have gradually added a bunch
more info over the years, so you could probably pick this art up from
this file as well as in person.
casting-msg      (144K)  6/25/02    Casting pewter and other metals.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/casting-msg.html

For those interested in this, these two additional files might also
prove of interest:
pewter-msg        (16K)  2/ 7/01    Pewter in period. References.
Sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/pewter-msg.html
soapstone-msg     (21K) 12/ 3/01    Use of Soapstone in period. Modern
sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/soapstone-msg.html

Stefan
--------