[Ansteorra] RE: Infringing Copyrights

jerryn@houston.rr.com jerryn at houston.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 09:18:35 PST 2004

While I can't be sure how Master Ivar has handled it, the following is an option:

1) write the piece (always important).

2) Place a dated copy somewhere (insurance that it doesn't get lost).

3) Get the piece copyrighted (This is from the web page: www.whatiscopyright.org).

"For example, my brother is a musician and he lives in the United States. When he writes new lyrics, he prints them out on paper, signs his name at the bottom with the Copyright © symbol to show that he is the author, places it in an envelope and mails it to himself without opening it. His copyright begins at the moment he puts his idea in a tangible form by printing the lyrics out on paper. He creates proof when he mails it to himself - the postmark establishes the date of creation. He then registers his copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office which is a requirement in order to sue for monetary damages should a violation of his copyright arise. However, if somebody copies and redistributes his lyrics without permission before his copyright is registered, he still has the right to assert a copyright claim as the true author."

Once these steps are done, whether he decides to have the work published eventually, or decides to never "publish" the work, he still has the rights to the work to himself.  He can allow others to perform it as they may, but unless he gives permission it can't be performed on a medium that would violate the copyright.

As for Born on the Listfield; it's important to note that Master Ivar has requested that the song not be written for several reasons, but most important was to encapture the oral tradition of learning a thing, which is done quite frequently now, but in a different, more repetitive medium than was done upon a time.  For those who need the words in front of them in order to learn the song, then use whatever tool you need.  This was done in period as well.  However, since we play/live in a society that asks it's members to value honor, once you've learned the piece, destroy the copy, and be willing to teach it to others who ask in the same oral tradition.

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate