[Ansteorra] coinage

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 16 16:37:44 PST 2004

'Wolf mentioned:
> i seem to remember a while back (late 80's, early 90's .. Rialto) that
> there
> was discussion by some out-region folk about building a gravity driven
> tower
> press for coin making - modeled on old western frontier coin presses.
> anyone remember this / have additional links ?????
No, I don't remember such a discussion there. Had I, then the messages
would be in the Florilegium. :-)

If anyone has some information about such an item being used in period
in Europe, I'd love to see it, as well. For the silver and gold coins
though, I'm not sure what advantages such as device offers over using a
hammer and die set. If you have steam power or possibly water driven
trip hammers, maybe speed. Two guys working as a team can probably turn
out all the coins you need in a short time period. But for this, in
period, I doubt it would have been seen as a good use of capital, even
for the trip hammer. Trip hammers were built but seem to have been used
for other purposes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas