Infringing Copyrights RE: [Ansteorra] looking for song

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Oct 20 20:45:55 PDT 2004

Lorraine asked:

> It is amazing how quickly you can infringe a copyright and get in
> legal trouble for it (from what I understand someone sued the Girl
> Scouts for copying sheet music for around the fire sing-a-longs)...
> just the act of filking something can open up a can of worms...

> Will anyone who is in the know...please...give us a rundow on
> how to keep OUT of trouble copyrightwise while still sharing music.

I'm no lawyer, and can't answer the question of where the legal boundaries
are.  Fortunately, Mistress Lorraine asked a different question, which is
how to keep out of trouble.

One way to stay out of trouble is not to share anything (words or music)
without the author's permission.  There may be other ways, but this way is
known to work..

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin