[Ansteorra] Price of Gas and Travel in the Kingdom

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 27 09:10:29 PDT 2004

Survey:

> So here is the question,  With the price of gas at an all time high (on
> average) and no change in sight (except possible increases) how has this
> affected your travel plans?

As the wife of an East Dallas (non-playing) retiree, retirement means twice
as much husband on half as much money! ;-)

I have just passed the big "6-5" m'self and have become even more of a
"hot-house plant". Driving long distances, besides being expensive, just has
not been a good thing for me, especially at late night times, even in this
last decade of my SCA involvement. (Would you believe I took a Heraldry
class in the 1970's in Albuquerque with Rodema de Rohan--think Raymond's
Quiet Press, for those who have been playing long enough to remember.)

As of 2003, I decided that continuing to camp in gully-washing thunderstorms
is now also a thing of the past for me. I am limiting myself to a few
daytrip distances from the east side of Dallas, at the most. Being the
Resident Grandma has been fun, but the SCA is definitely a young person's
game. Go for it, guys! Grandma's gonna keep the homefires burning.

In spite of all this, I *have* vicariously attended some events through my
artwork's being used. Does that count?

> Do you attend as many local meetings as you have in past?

I am even curtailing attendance at Steppes populace and business meetings,
since they are mostly 30 to 50 mile round trips at night in far north or
western areas I am unfamiliar with. I might go more often if things were
more in a central area.

I often go to our archery practices because they are so close and a lot of
House Arkham buds of mine go there. I don't go to heavy fighter practices
any more, because they are so distant from where I live. I used to go with
great frequency when the fighter practices were at Flagpole Hill. I am still
looking for a sometime fighter practice to be hosted there, like the time a
mini-tourney was held -mostly Steppes and Elfsea-or Francesca's hosting that
potluck. Now, *those* were fun!!!

I found the Steppes dance group meetings a blast--until I had to sit on the
sidelines for weeks and weeks with a broken foot. They are a great group and
give super end-of-the-month parties, if you didn't know. Try 'em if you can!

> Will you be attending more or less events in the coming months than in the
> past?

I will probably stay with the ones I have traditionally always tried to
attend--Steppes-sponsored--, even if only for part of the time: 12th Night
and Warlord, with an occasional Steppes Artisan thrown in (maybe 2005's?).
Steppes' Fall Court is much too far for me, usually, although I had a lot of
fun day-tripping one some years ago. I might go more often if I could share
transportation (if circumstances improve for me), but most want to stay
longer than I can, or even overnight.

Also, husband has had heart problems lately (as some of you who knew about
and sent such kind wishes), and I don't like to leave him alone for more
than a few hours. "Old age is not for sissies!" or so the saying goes.

> Will you be attending out of Kingdom events (such as Pensic and Gulf Wars)?

Definitely can't--for all the above reasons, though I have sent a scroll
award or two...

And that's my two florins' worth.

HL Lete Bithespring
(Now feeling positively *ancient*!)